Monday, May 4, 2009

True Story Tuesday-Super Julie

Sometimes when I think about it, I think that it was actually a dream.

Then, I really contemplate the event…yes, it was real. It is a true story.



Rachel over at Once Upon a Miracle has a great blog carnival called True Story Tuesday.

I think I will join her and share this true story with you…



It was a cool fall morning in Southern California. I was in my freshman year of college and was getting ready to go off to class. The drone of a helicopter could be heard in the distance and, as always, I was interested in finding out why it was around.

The local sheriff’s department often sent helicopters out to search our neighborhoods. Not really sure why most of the time, but they would circle and circle and circle. At night, a spotlight would illuminate the ground as the officers above surveiled the suburban sprawl below. Often, I would sit inside my home and wonder if a criminal was creeping just outside my window, evading the brilliant spotlight.

But this was different, it was broad daylight.

What could they be looking for?

Soon, I heard the muffled sound of a loudspeaker. Was it coming from the helicopter? Running outside, I stood on the driveway looking for the airship.

Within a minute, I could see it coming towards me.

“We are looking for a lost boy,” the pilot announced, “7 years old, blue shirt, blue pants. Please call 911 with information on his location.”

The helicopter circled around, closer to my home.

“We are looking for a lost boy, 7 years old, blue shirt, blue pants. Please call 911 with information on his location,” the crew repeated.

A lost boy? I’m going to go find him!

I have always been a can-do kind of girl, and this was a job for Super-Julie!

Dashing into the house, I grabbed my purse and keys. I ran back out and hopped into my car.

That’s when it happened... I had a clear vision of the boy walking outside of the department store of our local mall.

Driving out of my cul-de-sac and through my subdivision, I hit the main road in town. Racing towards the mall, I felt an incredible sense of urgency. I had to get to this young child before anyone else does.

It was less than a mile away, so I arrived quickly. Driving to the backside of the mall, I headed directly to the area that had flashed through my mind. As it was only around 08:30 in the morning, the place was deserted. I parked as close as possible to the store fronts. Quickly, I unfastened my seatbelt and raced towards the buildings.

From a distance, I could see a small figure in blue.

Could it be?

As I got closer, I could see that indeed, it was a young boy.

Slowing down, I approached him cautiously, not wanting to alarm him.

“Hi there, I’m Julie. Are you here alone?”

He looked at me sheepishly, but he did not seem to be frightened.

“Yep,” he replied, avoiding eye contact.

“Where is your family?”

“At home,” this time he looked me in the eye.

“Well, I think that people may be looking for you. Please, come and walk this way with me.”

We walked together to the parking lot, and I began to wonder how I was going to get this boy into the hands of his family or law enforcement.

Don’t faint or laugh your bottoms off, but this was before the days of cell phones. OK, I have just aged myself.

So, I decided that I should try to walk him towards the boulevard and see if I could find a police officer.

We chatted casually as we walked through the parking lot. Then, at a distance, I saw a sheriff’s car. Waving my arms in a huge gesture, I tried to flag them down.

They saw me! Great!

The sheriff pulled up and rolled down his window.

“Sir, I think that this is the boy you are looking for,” I blurted out.

“Why is he with you?” the officer said with a furrowed brow.

“Well, I heard the helicopter announcement and I came out to look for him.”

He looked genuinely baffled, as he stroked his bushy mustache.

Then he shrugged, “Okay, hop on in,” he said to the boy.

The boy scurried into the back seat, and the black and white drove off through the vacant parking lot and disappeared around the corner.

I stood there stunned, trying to take in what the previous 10 minutes had held.

Then I turned and walked to my car.

School awaited.





22 comments:

Rachel said...

Holy Mackerel!

Sounds like God had a hand in you locating that little boy.

What an amazing ending to what could easily have been a heartbreaking story.

God had that little guy safe - and sent His Super Julie to get him :)

Really amazing story (have I already said that?) Thanks for linking up... Mr. Daddy is gonna love this one!

Rebekah said...

How amazing when God allows us to be in the middle of a miracle. Your story is an example if how we need to act on Gods direction in our lives. Wow what a story

Aspiemom said...

Wow, that's amazing!

April said...

That is some kind of story, Julie...I mean, SUPER JULIE! You are a hero! Praise be that you found that little boy and all was well!

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

That's an amazing thing you did. Isn't it funny how fast you found him? I think you were meant to help him. Great story.

Mrs. M said...

Wow - amazing! Great work using your intuition!!

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

I think God used you as a direct answer to someones prayer!

He & Me + 3 said...

How did you spot him so quickly? Maybe your super sonic eyes. LOL Must have been God. That was awesome & crazy too.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Seriously??? I love hearing all these stories I have never heard. You are a can do girl, super Julie. =)

Meg said...

That's a fun story. Way to go! I'm sure his parents definitely appreciated your can do approach to life.

Orah said...

I totally believe in these things. That we can get a feeling for something and that we are meant to be a messenger in some way. Good job!

Beth E. said...

Wow...good for you! I know that God led you to that little boy!

Brooke said...

Wow I cant believe the officer didnt even thank you. They always assume the worst. I guess thats part of there job. Good for you!

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

You are amazing...Honestly, You have a mind that is sharper than any knife...I would have walked past that kid and not thought twice...Great story and I am glad that YOU found him and not some freak!!!!!

Beth in NC said...

Glory to God! And to think -- people don't believe that dreams and visions are for today. I love it! Woo hoo!

Did you ever share this story with his family?!?!?

I'm glad the policeman didn't arrest you. lol

Thanks for sharing!
Beth

-stephanie- said...

and you donned your cape and went in search for the next one in need. You're a hero! Good job on finding him.

Pam D said...

Wow.. that gave me some serious chillbumps! What if you hadn't listened to your heart? Has anything like that ever happened again? Just wow...

Anne said...

That's incredible! God really does use us for His own purposes, sometimes, huh?

Helene said...

All I can say is wow!!! It must have been your Mommy instinct kicking in!!!

Cathy said...

Cool! I loved your story!

E @ Scottsville said...

That's IT? You just end it abruptly like that? Was it really THAT KID? Did you hear anything on the news about it or anything?

Do you get 'visions' like that a lot? Goodness!

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty said...

That's an amazing story.