Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Moment to Treasure


Firehubby is at work tonight. I’ve been catching up on reading blogs and erasing shows off of my DVR…

A few minutes ago I was startled by the sound of sobbing coming from upstairs. Racing up the staircase, I found my boy standing in the hallway crying his eyes out.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?

“Yes, I’m fine,” he replied.

“Then why are you crying?” I asked, as I led him to the edge of my bed to sit down and talk.

“I’m crying because I had such a good day today that I don’t want it to end.”

Oh my gosh, how sweet.

I have to admit, I have not heard anything like this before. Sitting beside him, watching the tears stream down his face, I was simply baffled, but in a good way.

“So, what made today so very special?” I asked him, after he calmed down.

He shared that the wonderful parts of his day were when:

· I woke him up this morning and told him he could sleep in while I went to work on a special project downtown.

· I called him and told him that he could have his left over birthday cake for breakfast “)

· he enjoyed watching TV for a long time.

· he playing his new Risk game, by himself.

· he had so much fun playing his new DSi.

· I left him home alone for the first time for an extended time.

· he and his sister watched the new DVD I bought (Hotel for Dogs).


I was learning something about my boy. He is very sensitive, maybe even sentimental.

Tonight my heart just melted.

He will be 12 years old on Monday. He will go off to middle school in a short 3 months.

I loved this moment tonight. I like the young man my little boy is growing into.


20 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, that is just heartwarming.

Think about how grateful he is - what an amazing thing for a young boy to learn and express.

You have a keeper for sure :)

mama's smitten said...

What a sweet little guy! So thankful too! That's awesome!

Melissa Stover said...

that is so sweet. and what simple things made a wonderful day!

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Oh how special, you know I am very found of him too. What a wonderful moment for the both of you.

I sent you an email to check out my "test."

He & Me + 3 said...

How precious that he remembered so many things about his day that made it so special. I think he feels so special because he feels like you are trusting him more and more as he gets older.
What a sweetie.

Tricia Nugen said...

I can't wait for those moments! mine are spent yelling at the curly headed boy to stop what he's doing and telling the pretty princess to pick up her shoes! So sweet!

Mrs. M said...

Oh, so sweet! I took my daughter to see an Elmo live on stage show yesterday and after we got home she was crying her eyes out (she was VERY tired), but she said she didn't want to be back home because she was SO happy at the show and had so much fun.

brian said...

Lord help him, he's exactly like his father :)

A perfect day, and he's somewhat melancholy immediately after...that's my boy!

Casey said...

So sweet!

It makes you realize that it really is "all about the little things".

Elyse said...

What a sweetheart! At least he still has the niceness in him! Happy Early Birthday! What a sweet moment!
~Elyse

Mags said...

What a sweet and sensitive young man you have raised!!!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

What a wonderful young man he is.

Anne said...

Mine will be 12 in July, and he surprises me like that, too. Wonderful sons are an incredible gift from God. Yours sounds very special. =)

Leah said...

Such a blessing. My son also starts middle school soon. You blink and they're gone!!!

Maggie said...

Awwww, that is SO sweet!!! =) I bet that did melt your heart!

jennie.newland said...

I just found your blog and I LOVE IT! I am in nursing school now and plan on becoming a Cardiac Nurse in August. I love the stories that you share. I think you have a follower on your hands. Talk to you soon

Meg said...

That is very sweet. It really awesome to see how much he appreciates you. Though, I have to agree, if you let me have birthday cake for breakfast I might cry also.

Beth E. said...

Awww...what a sweetheart! You know, kids just need to unwind at times. They have so much on their plate these days. Sounds like your son had the kind of day we ALL need! I wouldn't want that day to end, either!

Have a great week. :o)

Miranda said...

That is too sweet. How precious! It's good to see that the "little" things matter so much to him. That's great!

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Just melted my heart too. What a sweetie!