Sunday, May 17, 2009

Not Me Monday- Birth Day Edition


May 18th, 2009
Happy Not Me Monday everyone. It's a great day to join MckMama at My Charming Kids in this fun blog carnival-Not Me Monday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In honor of Scout’s birthday I have decided that I will NOT embarrass him (and myself) and share a little about his actual BIRTH DAY.

So, here is part of the story of a crazy L&D nurse having a baby after 7 years of helping other women have babies...NOT ME!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When it was becoming clear that I was going into labor, I did NOT think it would be a great idea to have a nice Mexican dinner. After all, I would be breastfeeding and who knows when I would be able to enjoy beans and spicy food again...

I realized that was NOT a huge mistake when my tiny newborn was squealing and then having major TOOTS just hours after he had his first meal of

Spicy Mexican colostrum!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


For years, I did NOT fantasize about how I would spend my time getting through

early labor. Yes, I was sure that I would labor in the bathtub. That would be so relaxing...
NOT! I got in the tub and didn’t even get through the first contraction before I literally jumped out of the bath water. I did NOT spend the next couple of hours on my hands and knees, washing the kitchen floor.

No, it did NOT feel better than any bath that I could have imagined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Acting like my own nurse NEVER crossed my mind. I did NOT fill out my own admission assessment, put myself on the monitor, and give myself an IV bolus when my blood pressure bottomed out after my epidural.

And finally, I did NOT scream “GET. IT. OUT!” as my baby was crowning.

(no one told me it hurt really bad at the end!)

I did NOT freak out at that moment thinking that everyone at the nurse's station might have heard!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy 12th Birthday Scout!

(Thanks for forgiving me for the salsa and refried beans!)

28 comments:

Beth in NC said...

LOL ... I'll be sure to ask your advice when I give birth. (We adopted our first child.) Ha.

Carolyn said...

Awesome! Laughed out loud at this 'Not me. Happy Birthday, Scout.

Mrs. M said...

Haha! Happy Birthday Scout!!

McBee said...

Happy Birthday Scout!
That is awesome that you filled out your own assessment and gave yourself a bolus! :)

Sara said...

LOL! Scrubbing the kitchen floor, hey?! I'll have to remember that!

E @ Scottsville said...

Ha ha ha - nobody ever 'told you' that it hurt that bad? ha ha ha

How many births had you helped with? How many had you watched crown? ha ha ha

Yea, OUCH!!! Happy Monday Julie!

Leah said...

That's a funny story!! You nurses are probably really hard to nurse, huh?
Anyway, I'd like to invite you over to my blog tomorrow. I'm hosting a new follow-up to MckMama's Not Me Mondays. It's called Toot Your Horn Tuesday. After exposing all of your not-so-pretty moments on Monday, how refreshing it is to get a little recognition for all the good things you do. Come on by!!
Leah @ www.sillylittlesparrow.com

BluRayn said...

Happy Birthday, Scout! Have FUN today!!

Anonymous said...

I yelled get it out too. I also said "it's burning!" To which my doctor said, "Oh, your are getting to the burning ring of fire." To which my husband started singing, "Burn, burn, burn. Burning ring of fire!" And then I punched him!

Love Mom said...

Verr funny NMM. Happy birthday to your Scout!

Scrappinfor3 said...

THAT is hilarious! I'm an L&D nurse now but was not until after I had my 3 boys. I was always petrified to try L&D & now I wouldn't go back to the other kind of nursing. Great story:)

Elyse said...

HILARIOUS NMM...I can't tell you I know what it feels like, but oh my goodness...now I have something to look foward too. The toots part made me laugh out loud too.
Have a great Monday and Happy Birthday Scout!
~Elyse

Unknown said...

I love it! You are so entertaining!

Anne said...

After years in the field and countless explanations regarding one's call light, I did NOT totally forget that such a device existed during my last birth (the first without an epidural) and begin SCREAMING for my nurse, convinced that the baby was about to fall out of me. LOL

You have my sympathy. It's HARD to take off the nurse hat and put on the patient/mommy hat. Have you ever taken your child to the ER and given a detailed assessment of their condition including what treatment you've already provided? I think it's an occupational hazard.

Musings of the Mrs. said...

Awesome post. I love that you put your own IV in. I always wondered if nurses and doctors just sometimes took care of themselves too, rather than wait and have someone else do it.

Sara Sexton said...

One of the funniest Not Me!s I've read today! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh man that Mexican food does look good. I wouldn't be able to resist that craving either! Happy Birthday to your boy!

Rachel said...

That is too funny! Loved reading your birth story - and it's funny how different it can be for different moms! (I survived without an epidural due to that bathtub!) At least your floors got really clean, right?

Happiest Birthday Scout!

Meg said...

That is a very exciting birthday...yeah, I'm ok skipping my labor and delivery rotation--yeah, I am also ok with skipping the labor and delivery of my own kids. Is that allowed?

Nichole said...

This is the best not me monday I have read so far!

He & Me + 3 said...

I ate Mexican every week with my first born. YUM. I craved so much that pregnancy. Happy Birthday Scout.

Kristen said...

Oh. You know they were laughing at you...big time. Colostrum. Liquid cold with a kick of salsa. Poor little guy.

Jen said...

what a great not me post. oh and Happy Birthday to your son.

-stephanie- said...

Funny Not Me's. Does he like salsa to this day?? Happy Birthday Scout.

Melissa Stover said...

funny!

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday, Scout! Thanks for sharing your story too I always wondered how nurses faired in labor. I always imagined my nurse making fun of how wimpy I was with the other nurses back at the station.

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Happy Birthday! You have one hilarious mama!

Loved the birth story Julie~funny, funny. Giving yourself a bolus. Oh my!

Carebear said...

LOL at you doing your own nursing. And I also cleaned house during early labor - and weeded our garden too. It helped keep my mind off things! I just stopped by to say: Thank you for helping me choose a photo for this week’s I Heart Faces contest. If you email me your mailing address at cari_berry AT hotmail DOT com, I will send you a thank you gift in the mail!